Cold sores are also known as fever blisters, and they are quite common. They appear as fluid-filled ulcers around your mouth and lips. It gives you a painful feeling as long as it lasts. Typically a cold sore is known to last for several weeks. Cold sores can cause a great deal of discomfort and embarrassment.
For many years, you had to let cold sores run their course. But today, you have effective ways to get rid of cold sores in a very short period of time. If you are suffering from colds sores, then you should go to Dental Care clinic center.
How to prevent or treat cold sores?
If you are prone to cold sores, then you may consider having appropriate medications with you all the time. This way you will be able to start using the medications at the earliest. In case you don’t know the medications used for treating cold sores then you should consult the Dentist in New Britain.
- Medications that are proved to be useful in treating cold sores are mainly antivirals. These medications prevent the virus from replicating. As a result, it reduces the size of the cold sore. You can get antiviral medications only with a prescription. In that case, you can consult a family dentist in New Britain. You can get cold sores antivirals in two forms, including oral medications and topical medications.
- You can even use over-the-counter drugs for the treatment of cold sores. There are many products out there which are very effective in treating cold sores. These products contain menthol, tea tree oil, and anti-bacterial agents. They are very helpful in reducing the discomfort and pain caused by the sores. You can easily purchase these products online.
- You can even choose to rub hydrogen peroxide and alcohol, which may help dry out the sore. By applying any of the two products you can speed up the healing process. However, you should stop using it immediately if it causes more irritation or pain.
- You can even use ice or cold packs to get some relief from the pain. By applying cold, you can soothe the affected area. Not just that but it may also help with the healing process.
- Numbing creams are also very effective in reducing the discomfort caused by cold sores. These creams are also quite safe to use.
If you are suffering from cold sores, you should once consult your dentist before you take any kind of medication. This is for your own good.