The natural process of tooth decay in young children and infants is named as Baby Bottle tooth decay. The reason behind this type of decay is the sugar-based baby food items that the baby takes. The sugar content of these food items cling to the tooth and cause bacteria germination over time. The sugar serves as a host and food to the bacteria in which it grows and multiples.
The best dentist New Britain state that Children who feed on sugary formula or take pacifiers that are honey-dipped are at a higher risk of developing this problem. The most common site for the occurrence of baby bottle teeth is the front upper teeth but it can also affect the other teeth in the vicinity.
Those who think that baby teeth are not as important as adult teeth, you need to think again. Just like us adults, baby teeth too are important for various functions including chewing, smiling, speaking and more. Despite their temporary nature, they need enough care and attention. As a parent, you must know how to care for baby teeth and prevent a dreadful condition like baby bottle tooth decay.
Here are a few tips from the best dental care clinic center to prevent baby bottle tooth decay:
- Every time you feed the baby, you must wipe the baby’s gum. Use a clean gauze pad or washcloth for cleaning.
- As soon as the first teeth/ tooth comes in, start brushing the child's teeth. However, do not use any toothpaste. When you start using toothpaste, make sure that you use a fluoride-free one.
- If the child’s teeth has come in, clean it properly and also massage the gums.
- If the baby has put up all the teeth, make sure you floss the teeth twice daily.
- It is also important that the child gets fluoride for the teeth. The fluoride content in the teeth prevents cavities. Usually, local water supply contains fluoride, however, if it doesn’t, consult with the doctor and ask for a fluoride supplement.
- Make sure you visit your family dentist CT for regular dental check-ups. A regular check-up will ensure that any problem with the child’s teeth is timely diagnosed and preventive measures are taken at the right time.
Baby bottle tooth decay is a serious problem and must be identified at the right time, use these tips and ensure that your baby’s teeth are perfect and that she has a beautiful smile.